photo wildkrattsthumb_zpsric8yz14.png photo planner_zpsygpii84i.png photo freecomicpage_zpszxdhmovn.png photo mathwriting_zps4r5p1mc1.png photo otherprintablesthumb_zpsvolsw9ta.png

Thai Carmelized Beef Salad - adapted from a Donna Hay recipe

There are a couple of Asian booths at the farmer's market so I've started picking up some more unusual things to make stir fry out of. Like, today I bought snow pea greens, just the tops and a bunch of green onions and some mustard green-like things. I'm going to put those all together with some garlic and peanut oil for supper. So good and easy and very little clean up as far as dishes are concerned.

I wanted to share with you a completely stunning recipe that my husband and I love. I changed it up a bit from the recipe book I pulled it from (Off The Shelf by Donna Hay), eliminating the pork (we don't eat pork because of parasites) and not adding the ground anise (which makes me gag).


Thai Carmelized Beef Salad

Put everything in a hot pan and heat on medium for a few minutes:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar (I use less)
2 small red chillies seeded and chopped OR a few shakes of dried red chili
1 tablespoon shredded ginger (I use the jarred kind that is available at my local health food store...fresh is good too)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (I say this is optional, it's up to you)
2 tablespoons lime juice (I use the organic lime juice in the lime shaped bottle)

Add steak to pan and heat:
2 portions of whatever steak you have, we use top sirloin that has been grilled medium rare

Chop and toss together:
3 1/2 ounces green salad leaves
4 spring onions chopped
1/4 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup cilantro

I also love adding thinly sliced cucumber, bean sprouts, chopped peanuts and shredded carrot for more oomph.

I put the salad on a plate and drizzle with sauce and meat...totally amazing!

If you want to make it more of a big meal, you can make rice noodles or steamed rice on the side. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is a restaurant quality dish! Absolutely loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete