photo wildkrattsthumb_zpsric8yz14.png photo planner_zpsygpii84i.png photo freecomicpage_zpszxdhmovn.png photo mathwriting_zps4r5p1mc1.png photo otherprintablesthumb_zpsvolsw9ta.png

Delicious Treat For the Wheat Free Peeps - Oat Bran Apple Bars

I've been wheat free for almost 5 weeks now and I decided I needed a treat...I'm going to a friend's house and need to take something with me to go with our tea. Plus I want to prove to my friends that there are really amazing things to eat without wheat and grains.

Today I made a muffin bar with gluten free oat bran. I've been avoiding oats, but when I saw the gluten free bran I felt pretty good about it not having a bad effect on me. So far so good.

Here's the recipe:

In your Kitchenaid mixer place - 

1 cup milk (of your choice)

3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

4 drops liquid Stevia

Mix well.

In a small bowl whisk together -

2 cups gluten free oat bran

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Add the dry ingredients to the Kitchenaid. Mix slowly till moistened.

Next add to mixture -

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 banana

1/2 cup flaked organic coconut (Nutiva)

1/2 cup slivered almonds (or chopped nut of your choice)

1/4 cup honey

Mix till combined and pour into a prepared (buttered or sprayed) 9x13 glass baking dish.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Will be moist, not dry...but it will be cooked.

Let cool and cut into bars. Makes about 24 large bars. Top with fresh whipped cream and chopped apple for a delish breakfast, tea time treat or late night snack.

P.S. My darling girls ate several helpings this morning for breakfast. That means they're good.

NOTE: please be aware that oats are grains and this is NOT grain free. However, the use of gluten free oats can be helpful to those avoiding gluten. Next time I will make these with Bob's Red Mill brand bean flour or gluten free baking mix. I'll let you know what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment